If you make a quick search around the Internet, you will find many dizzying information about what conditioner to use for curly hair.
And unfortunately, there isn’t one that fits all.
It is important therefore, to know your curly hair type and to choose the best conditioner for curly hair among the many out there in the market.
- Curly Hair Conditioning
- How to Choose the Best Conditioner for Curly Hair
- The Top 5 Conditioner for Curly Hair Reviews
- 1. Project Beauty Hairgurt Curl – Best Conditioner for Curly Dry Hair
- 2. Organic Prestige Luxury – Best Curly Hair Conditioner
- 3. Maple Holistics Silk18 – Natural Hair Conditioner
- 4. SheaMoisture Coconut – Good Conditioner for Curly Hair
- 5. Deva Curl Ultra Creamy – Best Conditioner for Frizzy Hair
- In Conclusion
Curly Hair Conditioning
Conditioning is the number one priority for every type of curly hair. Unlike straight hair, curly and even coily hair cannot get the essential natural scalp oils because there is a lesser tendency to constantly groom and brush curly hair.
How to Choose the Best Conditioner for Curly Hair
It’s no secret that curly hair can be more difficult to manage than straight hair. For those of us with curly or wavy hair, finding the best conditioner for curly hair can make all the difference.
One thing that is particularly important to look for is a conditioner that provides your hair with a deep conditioning treatment (Curls Understood). A deep conditioner can help you restore or maintain natural health to your curls.
The tricky part here is that not all deep conditioners are created equal. What works for one person might not work for you. Many conditioners contain large amounts of protein but this is not necessarily the best for all hair types.
In order to determine if you could benefit from a protein-rich conditioner, it is recommended that you test the elasticity. If your hair snaps easily when doing a stretch test, you could probably benefit from a conditioner with protein to help rebuild the elasticity.
Large amounts of protein can be drying for some hair types, so if you notice that happening to you, you may benefit from a conditioner with less protein and more moisturizing properties (Naturally Curly).
It is recommended that you condition your curls at least once a week, but you might notice better results if you condition after each wash.
Since curls have a tendency to be more susceptible to breakage and tangles, a daily conditioner may be beneficial.
One of the most important things to remember when selecting a conditioner is to check and make sure it is sulfate free. Sulfates strip the natural oils from your hair which cause dryness and frizziness.
The Top 5 Conditioner for Curly Hair Reviews
1. Project Beauty Hairgurt Curl – Best Conditioner for Curly Dry Hair
This deep conditioning masque has yogurt powder, prebiotics, quinoa and their special blend of botanical oils and prolipids. This product was designed for easier manageability, curly hair elasticity without the frizz.
This yogurt masque is free of sulfates and parabens (a type of preservative), harsh salt systems and harmful colors and fragrances.
It has 6 botanical oils to repair and nourish damaged and dry curly hair:
- Hazel Seed oil (from hazelnuts) which is rich in Vitamin E and fatty acids that can be absorbed by the hair quickly.
- Sweet Almond oil also rich in fatty acids and Vitamin E, to keep moisture in longer keeping curly hair shiny.
- Macadamia Seed oil that is rich in Omega-3 and 6 fatty acids that coat the hair shaft and help with hair elasticity.
- Mango seed oil is full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that help repair damaged hair and is a non-oily and non-greasy type of moisturizer.
- Pomegranate oil is rich in punicic acid to revitalize hair.
- Raspberry Seed oil with Omega-3 fatty acids for strength and rehydration of dry hair.
In conclusion, Hairgurt Yogurt Mask is formulated with curly hair in mind. This may be a good option for you if you want to turn your dry and damaged curls into soft, luscious curls.
- Smells very good
- Smell lasts for a long time
- Makes hair feel very soft
- You need only a little amount
- Might be great for wavy hair only
- A bit pricey
2. Organic Prestige Luxury – Best Curly Hair Conditioner
This product contains organic aloe vera, orange peel oil and a mix of vitamins to repair, revitalize and restore damaged hair. It also replenishes your scalp’s essential natural oils and nutrients to keep hair in a healthy and manageable state.
This product is affordable and does not have harmful chemicals like sulfates, alcohol and other lathering agents that are known to cause scalp and hair problems. As with all their products, they maintain a careful balance of pH levels.
This product can be used by all types of hair and has a more silky texture than store-bought brands.
To conclude, this conditioner was designed to care for curly locks by combining aloe vera, orange peel oil, and vitamins that are healthy for hair. This combination of ingredients was also developed to revitalize and repair dry, damaged hair and give curls that “bouncy” feel.
- This product spreads out and applies better
- It leaves the hair shiny
- It is affordable
- No animal testing was done.
- Lid is easily broken
- Product packaging looks cheap
3. Maple Holistics Silk18 – Natural Hair Conditioner
This product contains a signature Silk18 blend of natural ingredients with 18 different silk amino acids to give hair silky softness and moisture retention. It also has jojoba and argan oils to give hair strength and shine. It also has botanical keratin to lessen frizz.
It uses 100% natural vanilla for a warm aroma and does not use artificial fragrances, coloring, sulfates and have no potentially harmful additives.
This product works for all types of hair and even color-treated hair.
In conclusion, the amino acids in this product are believed to provide immense conditioning benefits for hair including a reduction in frizziness, dry hair, and static. These silk amino acids found in Silk18 might be the key to helping restore that bounce to your curly hair.
- All natural product
- It has a wonderful vanilla smell
- A small amount will do
- Instantly detangles curls
- It doesn’t make scalp itchy
- No animal testing was done.
- Scent may be too overpowering
- It’s difficult to squeeze out of the bottle
- It only comes in 8 oz. bottles
- The smell fades fast after drying.
4. SheaMoisture Coconut – Good Conditioner for Curly Hair
This product is designed for thick curly hair for a smooth and silky feel and creates a creamy rich lather. It was created from healer recipes dating back from a 1912 Sierra Leone skin recipe. Now, it is given a modern twist and has been used by many generations.
SheaMoisture conditioner works on dry Afro or mixed race hair and on curly Caucasian hair. It does not have harmful chemical ingredients like sulfates.
To sum up, the Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner by SheaMoisture may be a great option for you to try is you have very thick hair. This product was created with thick, curly hair in mind.
- Works well for all types of hair
- Has a sweet hibiscus smell
- Smell stays on hair long
- Can easily finger-comb your hair
- Conditions overly processed hair
- Doesn’t leave a greasy feel
- Not as moisturizing
- Inconveniently small pump bottle
- May use more of the product
5. Deva Curl Ultra Creamy – Best Conditioner for Frizzy Hair
It can be used daily to keep curly hair shiny, manageable and frizz-free. It is made of moisturizing olive oil and a blend of nourishing botanical ingredients to give curly hair softness and maximum hydration that is perfect for Type 3 curls and for easy styling. It lasts until your next conditioning.
For added hydration, re-apply using a small amount of conditioner and leave on. It locks in the moisture for healthy hair.
DevaCurl One Condition gives ultra-moisture conditioning to color and color-treated curly hair.
Summing this product up, Deva Curl could be another great conditioner option for you to try. The ingredients contain olive oil and botanicals to moisturize and nourish curly hair.
The conditioner can be used on a daily basis to help deliver softness and hydration. The ingredients were formulated to create an extra creamy texture designed to lock in moisture.
- Works well with all types of hair
- Works with just a small amount
- Does not leave hair stiff or flaky
- Does not leave hair feeling sticky
- Easily detangles while in the shower
- Does not smell like regularly-used conditioners
- A little pricey
From these reviews, the best conditioner for curly hair is the DevaCurl Ultra Creamy Daily Conditioner.
Although the other products may also work well with all the different types of curly hair, DevaCurl might just be a good choice because it can be used daily and also is made with natural ingredients. This works well with people who look for products that are organic and not infused with many harmful chemicals.
Everyone’s curly hair is different, so it may take a few tries before you find the conditioner that best fits the specific needs of your hair. For this reason, it is best to buy a small bottle first to try it out before investing money in a huge bottle.