I hope you’ll agree with me when I say:
“New hair products seem to hit the market more regularly than leaked photos of the iPhone series, making the attempt to search for the latest model a difficult task.”
The curling tool group, in particular, is a stressing one with the endless brands between bubble wands, traditional, clip-less, and much more making shopping for the best iron seem more like an episode of The Amazing Race.
You should always compare curling tool shopping to grocery shopping – after all, they all work toward making a salad, but the best choice will make your dish to taste better.
You need to look for devices coated in either tourmaline or ceramic, as they are the best for distributing the heat evenly, ensuring that all parts of your head receive an equal amount of heat.
This is especially critical when you are curling thick hair, as one curl might be perfect while the other might be weak.
Hang on as we look at the best curling iron models out there, their styling possibilities, and how to use them.
- The Best Curling Irons 2018
- 1. Remington CI9538 T/Studio Salon – Best Ceramic Curling Iron
- 2. Xtava Satin Wave 5-in-1 – Top Rated Curling Iron
- 3. Hot Tools Professional 1110 – Best Hot Tools Curling Iron
- 4. BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium – Best Professional Curling Iron
- 5. HSI Professional Curling Iron Set – Free Glove Included
- 6. Bed Head BH311 – Best Affordable Curling Iron
- 7. Kiss Product Instawave – Best Automatic Curling Iron
- 8. Jose Eber – Best 1 Inch Curling Iron
- 9. Homitt 5-in-1 Curling Iron Set
- 10. Olaxer EB201 Digital Ceramic – Best Curling Iron Wand
- How to Choose the Best Curling Iron by Hair Type
- Proper Use of the Best Hair Curler
- In Conclusion
The Best Curling Irons 2018
1. Remington CI9538 T/Studio Salon – Best Ceramic Curling Iron
It is very easy to achieve wonderful salon-worthy hair with this CI9538 T/Studio Curling Wand from Remington. This iron boasts of a high-technology ceramic wand instilled with real pearl – a patented-pending tech that offers the latest ceramic surface for the best glide on the market.
The product leaves your hair silky and smooth with a glowing luster. It attains curling temperature in ½ a minute and its temperature range from 270 degrees to 410 degrees.
Once you select the ideal temperature, secure your preference settings with the LCD lock so that it doesn’t change when styling your hair. The tool also features a cone curling wand taper that is designed to style thin ends. This shape is designed to produce tighter curls at the tips of your hair and looser ones at the roots. This cone shaped design provides flexibility to fulfill all your styling needs.
This iron is suitable for curling all types of hair.
- Automatic shutoff
- Include heat protective glove
- Precise digital control
- Patent pending ceramic pearl tech
- 1/2 –inch, 1-inch, or 1½-inch styling wand
- 410-degree high heat
- 4 years warranty
- Easy to use
- Effective product
- Heats up fast
- Strong smell
2. Xtava Satin Wave 5-in-1 – Top Rated Curling Iron
As the name indicates, Xtava Satin Curling Iron and Wand is a 5 in 1 curling tool that features 5 various ceramic barrels of various sizes and shapes to enable maximum flexibility. These barrels are designed to fit your curling style and hair which ensures that you get more natural looking curls.
The device also features a 360 degree, 8-ft swivel cord that is suitable for use in just about all rooms from any power outlet. Furthermore, the cord is tangle-free.
Additionally, the tool boasts of ceramic tourmaline tech built into the Xtava pro 5-in-1curling tool that leaves your hair smooth as well as safe from damage. The product also comes with a dual voltage that is suitable for use in different countries. It also features a heat resistant bag for carrying anywhere you go. It also makes it safe.
This iron is suitable for ladies who travel regularly and is recommend for curling and straightening all types of hair.
- Barrel sizes 0.3-inch, 0.75-inch, 0.7-inch, 1-inch, and 1.25-inch
- Temperature range from 250 degrees to 410 degrees
- 8-foot, 360-degree swivel cord
- Includes a heat protection glove
- Universal dual voltage
- Ceramic tourmaline technology
- Easy to set up
- Easy to change barrels
- Makes hair healthier
- Comes with a single temperature setting
3. Hot Tools Professional 1110 – Best Hot Tools Curling Iron
This iron features a 24 karat gold plated barrel which is among the best elements used in curling tools. Due to this, it eases you curling session, makes the tool look more attractive and make it one of the best hair curlers in the world. The tool also features an 85W power supply to produce the maximum heat possible. This ensures that your thick and coarse hair get nice curls with no damage.
The product produces heat up to 430 degrees. This characteristic attracts a specific type of women to this tool to curl their hair smoothly-coarse hair women. As the level of coarseness or thickness of your hair increases, so should you increase the level of heat.
Additionally, the product has an extra-long cool tip that ensures that your fingers aren’t burned by the heat. It also comes with an 8-foot long cord for easy movement when styling your hair. The cord is tangle-free.
This product is suitable for curling thick and coarse hair.
- 24 karat gold plated barrel
- Extra long cool tip
- Heavy duty, durable heating element
- Heavy duty 8-foot swivel cord
- Separate on/off switch
- Rheostat that memorizes your favorite heat setting
- Produce smooth curls
- Affordable product
- Fast heat-up
- Doesn’t have auto on/off switch
4. BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium – Best Professional Curling Iron
Create amazing hairstyles with this curling iron from BaBylissPRO. It is designed with the latest technology to form waves and textured curls. Nano is a great conductor of heat and maintains constancy in ultra-high or extreme temperatures. It produces maximum infrared heat, penetrating your hair shaft for a professional styling with no damage.
This product also uses Sol-Gel tech to make the barrels 22% smoother and 37% stronger than other ordinary designs.
This tool is adjustable with fifty heat settings; with the maximum heat reaching 450 degrees. The iron also features an 8-foot tangle-free swivel cord. In addition, it uses titanium tech that makes it so popular as well as highly rated by users. Its ceramic and titanium barrel forms smooth surface as well as even heat dispensation so that your hair last longer and doesn’t snag.
This curling iron is suitable for curling textured hair and making waves on medium hair.
- 50 heat settings up to 450 degrees
- Sol-gel nano ceramic/titanium barrel
- 8-foot tangle-free swivel cord
- Infrared heat to penetrate hair shaft
- Turbo heat button that instantly boosts heat
- Use the latest technology to create waves and textured curls
- Produce great results
- Heats up fast
- Complicated to use
5. HSI Professional Curling Iron Set – Free Glove Included
If you are looking for the best beachy waves or bouncy locks, HSI pro is the perfect product for you. This salon model will provide you the amazing hairstyle your have been dreaming about, without spending a lot of money on your product and hair. This deluxe four-piece curling product set has different barrels, such as the ¾-inch, 1-inch, 1½-inch, and 1¾-inch barrel.
These barrels are interchangeable and made of the latest tourmaline technology which helps you to get stunning curls of different sizes and shapes, leaving your hair smooth and shiny.
Your hair doesn’t only look amazing, but also remain healthy as the tool’s infrared tech locks in moisture and natural oils. It is also very easy to hold the iron, thanks to its non-slip grip and sleek design. Moreover, it is possible to change its temperature digitally and it comes with a heat protection glove.
The product is recommended for sassy and thick curls, as well as, loose vintage curls.
- Displays an error problem if you haven’t locked the barrel completely
- Infrared technology for locking in natural oil and moisture
- Ceramic tourmaline cone for healthier and smoother hair
- Consistent even heat distribution
- Dual voltage 110-220V
- Highly quality
- Easy to set up temperature
- Produce beautiful curls
- It heating process is a bit sketchy
6. Bed Head BH311 – Best Affordable Curling Iron
Generate loose curls at the bottom and tight ones at the top with this reverse conical barrel tool. It features ceramic barrel that provides high and steady heat that ensures rapid heat recovery. Its clamp-free, as well as go design provides you with salon-results styling.
The iron also comes with a heat protective gloves that protect your fingers from the heat. The tool makes it easier to curl your hair around the hard-to-reach places and keep it until your hair is done without sliding off.
The tool heats up quite fast and reaches very high temperatures but sadly, there is no setting for controlling or turning down the heat. The iron also boasts of rapid heat recovery that minimizes the time it takes to get hot.
This product is highly recommended for women with a unique shape. It is great in curling all types of hair.
- Produce frizz free and shiny styles curls
- No clamping, you only need to wrap it and go
- Include heat-protective glove
- Instant heat recovery that speeds heat-up times
- Reverse conical wand for reaching hard-to-reach areas
- Heats up fast
- Perfect for short and shoulder length hair
- Gets very hot
- Cheaply made
7. Kiss Product Instawave – Best Automatic Curling Iron
The Kiss Auto Hair Curler is a completely auto curler that easily creates superb, long lasting curls with little effort. You don’t need to be an expert to style your hair, simply place your iron in any part of your hair and leave it to do the rest. With a touch of a button, the product automatically and instantly curls and catches your hair, changing it from straight locks to tangle-free beautiful curls in seconds.
This styling iron is the right way to get salon-like curls, but without the issues that other home curling tools have.
With its patented qualities and simplistic design, the product transforms how ladies do their hair. The tool also guards and protects your hair, while providing it the look that people will admire. It is very easy to use, provide natural curls, as well as a professional look.
The product is suitable for all types of hair and hair lengths.
- Patent pending curl dial that creates tangle-free curls
- 420 degrees maximum temperature for professional curls
- Diamond-ceramic ion technology for shiny, healthy, and frizz-free hair
- Power control switch for high and low
- Spins in 2 directions
- Increase safety due to auto shut-off
- Makes soft curls
- Might damage your hair if used a lot
8. Jose Eber – Best 1 Inch Curling Iron
This curling tool is the answer to those sleek and vivacious looking hairstyles. It allows you to create your personalized style anywhere and anytime as it features a slender, easy to carry construction that is easy to fit in your bag. With this amazing and efficient tool, you will be able to form gorgeous ripples on your hair using minimal efforts and without any pains.
The product also features a 25mm barrel covered with ceramic that shields your hair from damage and burns while offering equal heat circulation.
This hair curler is very lightweight with a great handle, so that you may set your hair the easy and right way. It reaches 210 degrees and operates on a current of 110 to 240 V. It also features 360-degree swivel cord and weighted handle which makes it very comfortable and convenient to use.
This tool is suitable for creating smooth curls for your thick and long hair.
- Korean tourmaline ceramic barrel
- Dual voltage of 110-220V
- 360-degree swivel cord
- 25mm or 1-inch clipless barrel
- Lightweight ergonomic design
- Negative ion technology
- Temperatures of 410 degrees
- Hold curls smoothly
- Heats up instantly
- Doesn’t damage hair
- Awful gloves
9. Homitt 5-in-1 Curling Iron Set
Homitt five-in-one interchangeable curling tool set makes your amazing hair more interesting and convenient. It features 5 different barrels – different sizes ensure that you make different hairstyles. Additionally, the tool has a lock on the handle, you only need to press the iron’s buttons as a go and change the barrel to the next barrel.
Its LED indicator lights when your tool is turned on and you have the freedom to change to the ideal temperature. The barrel heats up quickly – it only takes about ½ a minute to get hot.
The product boasts of a 2.5M swivel cord which makes it ideal for use in different places. Its plug is well designed to meet the international standards. And you don’t need to worry about getting burnt because the tool comes with a protective glove to protect your fingers from the heat.
This product is highly recommended for women who like to style their hair different every two to three days due to its many barrels.
- Adjustable temperature
- Five different sizes of barrels: ½-inch, 1-inch, 1½-inch, 18/25-inch, and 25/32-inch
- Strong and durable
- Comes with a heat glove
- Heats up quickly
- Very easy to use
- Might burn you if you don’t use a glove
10. Olaxer EB201 Digital Ceramic – Best Curling Iron Wand
This multifunctional product has a cone-shaped design that provides a variety of dimension to fulfill your needs. The product feature ceramic technology that ensures you style your hair perfectly while you are at home. Ceramic is a great conductor of heat and distributes it evenly leading to even and smooth curls.
It also helps to choose the ideal temperature that remains steady while you are working on your head – with no hot spots. The product ensures that you get the best curls, whether you are looking for loose waves, bouncy curls, or fun-and-flirty hair.
Other great features of this tool are its conical shape, taper and thin end that makes curling even the hard-to-reach parts a reality, giving you a shiny and natural look all day. The tool heats up easily and boasts of different temperature controls that range from 160 degrees to 410 degrees. It also has an easy to read digital display.
This tool is well-suited for all types of hair and especially for people who always have a hard time reaching small parts of their head.
- Nano ceramic technology
- LCD digital display
- Swivel power cord
- Auto shutoff
- Heats up easily
- Easy temperature control
- Produce great curls
- A bit complicated
How to Choose the Best Curling Iron by Hair Type
If you want to style and protect your hair, you need to find the best curling iron tool for your hair.
1. The Curling Iron for Fine Hair
How exactly do you look for the perfect tool for your fine hair?
First, you need to understand that fine hair is thin and quite delicate.
Therefore, you need to get a tool that has the lowest heat setting possible – this will not damage your hair. In addition, you should consider buying a tool with instant heat-up as well as recovery feature because if it takes time to heat, your hair will be damaged.
The other thing that you need to consider is the size of the barrel. You need to choose a barrel that you can wrap all your hair at once to ensure that you use the tool for the shortest time possible.
Finally, you need to consider the quality of the product and the material used to make it. Fine hair is often silky and smooth, so it usually slips away from the iron easily. You need to buy a curler that will hold your hair to avoid slipping away.
2. The Curling Iron for Thick Hair
Maintaining thick hair is a difficult task. And when it involves curling this type of hair, things even get more difficult. So, to curl this hair, you need to get a curling tool that has some specific features which are suited to this hair.
To begin, you need to get a tool with high heat setting. Thick hair requires a lot of heat to respond to the iron. Choose a product that has a temperature of about 450 degrees.
Additionally, a large barreled curling device is very useful for thick hair. You should go for the biggest barrel on the market.
The next thing you should consider is the material used to produce this tool. A thick hair tool should have a ceramic material that enables your tool to hit a temperature of about 450 degrees. This material has the benefit of reducing damage to your curls and it provides only the right amount of heat required to produce great curls. It also produces –ve ions that neutralize +ve ions that are found in hair.
Finally, consider buying a gold plated barrel tool as it gets hot easily and remains hot for a very long time. This is perfect for curling thick and unruly hair.
3. The Curling Iron for Long Hair
Most women love long hair. However, the styling and maintenance of this type of hair are more tiresome than maintaining short hair. Luckily, this shouldn’t be the case if know how to buy a curling tool for long hair.
First, curling long hair with a wide or bigger barrel is easier than curling it with a shorter one. This is because short width barrels takes a lot of time to completely curl this type of hair – you can take the entire day.
Barrel shape is also another key feature that you should consider when buying a tool for long hair. Some of the most common barrel shapes are conical-shaped, reverse-conical-shaped, and cylindrical-shaped barrels.
Conical-shaped barrels produce tight curls near the end and loose ones near the scalp, reverse-conical-shaped produce loose curls near the end and tight ones near the scalp, and Cylindrical-shaped barrels produce spiral curls. These three shapes are highly effective for long hair.
The material used to make these tools is also very important. The best materials for long and thin hair tourmaline and ceramic, while gold and titanium are ideal for long and thick hair. The other factor to consider is having different temperature control.
4. The Curling Iron for Short Hair
Key factors that you should consider before buying a curling tool for short hair include the following:
First, you need you need to consider the width of the barrel. Like we saw above, a large barrel is appropriate for curling long hair because it is easier to wrap long hair around the barrel. Therefore, thinner width barreled tools will be ideal for styling short hair.
There are a lot of thin barreled irons on the market today, but you need to choose the best one for your hair type, hair style, and hair health.
The shape of the barrel is also another critical factor that you should consider. Here, there are two possible solutions – cylindrical-shaped barrel for producing spiral curls, conical shaped barrel for producing tight and loose curls.
Finally, choose a titanium, tourmaline, or ceramic material. These material emits a lot of –ve ions and thus great for curling products. Always avoid curling tools containing harsh and chrome metals.
Proper Use of the Best Hair Curler
Once you choose the right curling tool for your hair, the next step is to style your hair. Follow these steps to create great looking curls.
- Divide your hair into two parts or sections.
- Begin by holding your tool vertically with its clasp facing south. Then clamp a two inch part of your hair about two inches from the ends.
- Curl your hair out: from your face to the root.
- Hold for about seven to twelve seconds depending on your hair texture.
- If you have super thick hair, follow the first four steps, then gently let go the clasp just a little and slide your tool down to about two inches from the end.
- Once you have completed the front parts, this time hold your tool, vertically but with the clamp facing north.
- Clasp your hair about two inches from its ends and twist your tool in; from your head to your root.
- Hold the iron for about seven to twelve seconds and then gradually release the clasp. Ensure that you twist the tool towards your head to create an inward curl.
- Now spray your bottom part with hairspray and then release the next layer.
- When you get to the upper layer, again remember to curl the few upper parts out and away from the face. In addition, hold your iron for less time to get a looser curl.
- Again spray this part as well as the other parts of your head with a hairspray.
Finally, slowly flip your curls back and forth and rake your fingers via then to eliminate any structured ringlets.
Not all curling tools are manufactured the same. When searching for these tools, it’s critical to pay lots of attention to what metals or material they are made of. Some of these metals are suitable for your hair than others.
For example, tourmaline and ceramic curling tools are quite popular and very safe. If you style your hair regularly, these are the irons you should buy. They maintain a steady temperature all over the barrel. They produce –ve ions that smooth your hair’s cuticles, they make your hair appear shiny and smooth, and they eliminate frizz.
On the other hand, titanium barrels are suitable for hair that is hard to heat, coarse, unmanageable and doesn’t hold heat.
In addition, you need to understand that some curling devices come with exchangeable barrels in various sizes. This is an amazing feature since you will not require different irons to create different types of curls.
These tools also come in different shapes – cone shaped wands, straight barrels, spiral barrels, pearl barrels, double and triple barrels, and flat irons – that produce different results.
However, the only way to ensure that you get the best curling iron is to choose a product that is suitable for your hair – hair length and hair type.