Does your hair feel dry and lack shine after blow-drying?
Are your curls or waves not lasting long?
One of the common reasons why this might happen is easy: your hair is probably damaged. To avert this from happening, it’s very critical to use the best heat protectant for natural hair before applying heat.
- Defining Heat Protectant
- Benefits of Heat Protectant
- Using Heat Protectants on Natural Hair
- Choosing the Best Heat Protectant for Natural Hair
- Top 5 Best Heat Protectant for Natural Hair Reviews
- 1. HSI PROFESSIONAL Thermal Protector
- 2. TRESemme Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Spray
- 3. CHI Silk Infusion
- 4. Heat Protectant Plus with Argan Oil
- 5. Art Naturals Thermal Hair Protector
Defining Heat Protectant
A heat protectant is a product that, at the least, has some kind of Dimethicone and Cyclomethicone.
Most treatments sprays, leave-in conditioners, straightening serums, and setting lotions to use a combination of these two elements with other vital ingredients to form what is called a “heat protectant.”
The majority of women use these elements but they don’t really understand them.
So what are they?
- Cyclomethicone – This is a clear silicone that boasts of a sleek smooth feel when deposited into your hair. It evaporates easily after helping to transfer nutrients and oils (other elements found in the product) into your hair shaft.
- Dimethicone – This silicone is used in detangling and conditioner products to aid smooth your hair and offer easier “comb-through.” Because it covers the strands, dimethicone might also make your hair to look sleeker after styling.
Both of these silicones are Food and Drug Association (FDA) approved to be used in heat protectant products and are safe for use on your hair and skin.
Benefits of Heat Protectant
A heat protectant derives its benefits from the silicones present in its ingredient. These are man-made elements that work by coating your hair with a thin, heat-resistant, and waterproof coating.
This serves 3 major purposes:
- Helps decrease the porosity of your hair – This reduction makes your hair less prone to be affected by dampness after heat styling.
- Helps decrease moisture loss from your hair – There are a few things that might cause loss of moisture such as the use of bleaching products in color processing, overexposure to dangerous elements such as chlorine-treated water or sun, and dehydration.
- Helps lubricate the surface of your hair – Your hair will detangle easier and feel smoother.
I really enjoy using heat protectants because of the above benefits. My hair is always fresh and shiny.
Using Heat Protectants on Natural Hair
The best method to use a protectant is to apply it to your hair when it’s wet (after deep conditioning). This allows this product to enter the cuticle, soak up into your hair shaft and attach before heat styling.
When setting up your hair with the best heat protectant for natural hair, ensure you fully understand the instructions and label on the product. This might not seem like a big deal but most of the times the product doesn’t work because you did not follow the directions. (Watch the following blow out video to understand how to prepare your hair for heat styling).
Things to Know About Heat Styling
There are a few things you should know before you begin to heat style your hair.
- If you intend to straighten your hair, ensure you use a tool that contains a ceramic coating on the barrel and plates.
- Additionally, check the producer’s guide that comes with these tools to see the right temperature setting for various hair types.
- If you intend to use silk oils or even other finishing/straightening products, use them in little amounts or the recommended amount.
You do not want to “over cook” your precious hair with oils or even overheat your strands.
Choosing the Best Heat Protectant for Natural Hair
It is better to have a less effective heat protectant than having none at all.
However, if you wish to progress your knowledge on these products, a recent study from the University of Manchester showed that it might be beneficial to avoid all water based protectants and go for dry elements such as oils and solvents like ethanol. Water free heat protectants are more effective than water-based ones.
This doesn’t mean that heat protectants with water aren’t effective; they are also great.
Many heat protectants also contain elements such as polymers (including polyquaterniums, copolymers, and acrylates) and silicones. Although synthesized, these are among the most researched heat protectants elements in the world.
Preventing Heat Damage
Even after using heat protectants the right way, you might find yourself with lots of heat damage, now what do you do?
- You increase the level of your protectants.
- You rotate your protectant treatment (about every 2 weeks) into your washing schedule.
- You treat yourself with a hot oil treatment once or twice a month – alternate with the protectant treatments.
- You wear protective styles that don’t need heat – you might still eliminate heat damage if you use heat. This is one of my favorite ways to get rid of heat damage.
- You drink a lot of water – Your body balances its temperature through sweating and releasing liquid as you use energy. This effect cools your glands, including your hair follicles. Take at least 8 glasses of water every day.
Top 5 Best Heat Protectant for Natural Hair Reviews
HSI Thermal Protector is a must-have product for ladies who style their hair with curling irons, flat irons, hair dryers, and other heat styling products. There is little doubt about it. This is the primary guardian angel for your locks, whether it is your own hair or human hair extensions.
Spritz it smoothly from the base to the top before you begin to style, and proceed with no fear – your natural hair will be 100 percent safe and protected from intense heat, will be frizz-free and stay hydrated, and you will not waste your time styling your hair. The product will also give your hair the shine it deserves, no matter if it is wavy or sleek.
My friend bought HSI Thermal Protector a few years ago and I must confess her hair looks great.
- It comes with an anti-frizz smooth as well as repair treatment mask.
- It replenishes your hair shine and moisture.
- It repairs damaged hair and color treated hair.
- It is suitable for all hair types – wavy, unruly, or coarse hair.
- The product has a strong smell – might not be great for people who are sensitive to strong smell.
TRESemme Thermal Creation Heat Protectant Spray stands up to curling irons and flat irons, aiding against friction and heat, leaving your hair glossy and enviably soft. The spray allows you to continue using hair irons to realize your desired look. Its’ heat activated recipe enhances your hair flexibility to hold and reform its shape without being damaged.
Its recovery system was intended to help protect your hair against harm from heat gadgets such as styling tools and blow dryers. TRESemme Thermal Spray is perfect for ladies who style frequently as it helps to restore shine and vibrancy to damaged and dried out hair. It is made with moisture-locking vitamin element that helps to protect against hot iron by guiding against heat.
This is one of my favorite’s heat protectant on the market today. I really enjoy it.
- It protects against heat damage, control frizz, and leave your hair looking super soft and very shiny after styling.
- Its fragrance is great, although some ladies might not like it.
- It is an affordable product.
- It is portable or travel-friendly.
- Some people argue that the fragrance is too strong.
- The product is not available in some countries.
CHI Silk Infusion is a product rich in various treatments enhanced with chaste silk together with soy and wheat proteins and is free of alcohol. The product assures deep penetration of silk proteins and protects your hair against the environment and thermal styling. The protectant has cationic and ionic hydration interlink technology.
CHI is incorporated with a CHI 44 ceramic thermal styling recipe that aids protect your hair from frequent use of thermal elements and strengthen it. The product enables you to form multiple textures with a stunning style that might be regenerated.
Positively charged silk particles link with your hair’s natural form to build resilience and strength as well as enhance shine and moisture. The product is suitable for different types of hairs such as curly and wavy hairs.
- It is suitable for all types of hair.
- It protects your hair from the environment and thermal styling.
- It doesn’t contain alcohol.
- It is full of pure natural silk, soy and wheat proteins.
- It is easy to use.
- It is a lightweight product.
- It is an effective product and affordable one.
- Its smell is a bit strong and might give you a headache.
This is a professional grade heat protectant spray that is made with an advanced lightweight 2 layer protection technology that protects your hair from thermal damage and offers maximum protection from harm caused by hair dryers, curling irons, flat irons, hair waver and styling tools. It penetrates your hair follicles to repair damage while also preventing split ends and breakage.
This protectant is integrated with the best quality cosmetic grade Argan Oil to help moisturize, transform, and condition the texture of your natural hair, giving it a silky, smooth, and soft finish with a long lasting shine. It also features highly effective detangling and anti-frizz agents that help to reduce frizz and enhance the manageability and flexibility of your hair. It is also suitable for use on different type of hairs, including curly hair, permed hair, natural hair, extensions, and wigs.
- It protects and shields your hair from damage caused by hair dryers, curling irons, and flat irons.
- Boasts of an advanced lightweight 2 layer protection technology that enters your hair follicles to prevent and repair hair split ends and damages.
- The product is highly effective.
- It improves the flexibility of your hair.
- Has a pleasant smell.
- It is detrimental to your hair as it might cause some damages.
Art Naturals Thermal Hair Protector comes to the rescue split and dry hair before blow-drying them. Whether your hair is hurting from excess humidity, heat, or even sun exposure, natural elements of peach, sage, rosemary, ginseng, and thyme re-moisturize, and then offer a barrier against future damage. Your hair is restored to shine and luster. If it had teeth, it would smile.
Art’s spray-on, leave-in heat shield protects your hair against everything you do to destroy it. It is designed to provide a 24 hours moisturizing feature, with its natural extract providing deep layers of moisture. It is also a great detangler for thick and unwieldy hair. Arts Natural is perfect for use before you head out for outdoor activities.
I bought this product for my daughter and her hair has really transformed since she started to apply it.
- It fragrant is sweat.
- It protects and conditions your hair, especially if you dried with a dryer, curling, or ironing.
- Its herbal elements moisturize and nourish your hair and protect it from future heat.
- Great for use before outdoor activities.
- Great detangler for difficult to handle and thick hair.
- Might not be great for use in soft hair.
Remember that even with the use of a ceramic styling tool and a heat protectant, heat damage might still occur in your hair. Nothing is 100 percent guaranteed, and you should follow the directions and your discretion when using these products. Always consider what is true about your hair, as you have experienced it before, and then apply the right product.
For example, if you are heavily prone to damage from excessive heat, certain types of products, or chemicals, be careful when using them. In addition, curly hair is highly likely to get damaged because at every turn of your curl, your strands are susceptible to break after being force-flattened by flat iron heat or curling iron.
Additionally, it is best to use the best heat protectant for natural hair before you blow dry your hair. This ensures that the protectant is infused into your hair strand before the hot ironing process begins. It is not necessary to apply the heat protectant when flat ironing your hair because the product has already been absorbed.
As you might have realized, Art Naturals Thermal Hair Protector is a quality heat protectant as it provides most of the benefits that should be present in these products. For example, it helps to reduce moisture loss and decrease the porosity of your hair. It also helps to lubricate the surface of your hair which is a great feature that should be found in these products.