With lots of information on the web about shampoos, it is vital to know that what works for your friend might not work for you.
With thousands of alternatives available, looking for the ideal shampoo might leave you frustrated, particularly if you have curly hair.
The key to a good styling process is choosing the right product. Therefore, it is important to pick only the best shampoo for curly hair.
Here is a guide to help you get started.
- Shampoo for Curly Hair
- Things to Consider
- The Top 10 Shampoo for Curly Hair Reviews
- 1. Art Naturals Organic Moroccan Argan Oil – Best Shampoo and Conditioner for Curly Hair
- 2. Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus – Best Shampoo for Dry Curly Hair
- 3. Curly Sexy Hair Curl Defining Sulfate – Best Shampoo for Dry Frizzy Hair
- 4. Joico Smooth Cure – Good Shampoo for Curly Hair
- 5. L’Oreal Paris Advanced – Best Rated Shampoo
- 6. Ethnic Hair Shampoo – Best Shampoo for Thick Hair
- 7. Ultra Curl Defining Cream With Oil – Best Shampoo for Wavy Hair
- 8. TIGI Catwalk Curls Rock Amplifier – Best Shampoo for Dry Curly Hair
- 9. Moroccan Argan Oil – Shampoo and Conditioner
- 10. TIGI Catwalk Curls Rock – Best Conditioner for Curly Hair
- How to Choose Shampoo for Curly Hair
- Tips on How to Take Care of Curls
- The Bottom Line
Shampoo for Curly Hair
Curly hair is always hard to maintain mainly because the curl styles and patterns are quite unique. These patterns and styles often hinder moisturizing scalp lubricates from reaching your shaft making them prone to breakage and dryness. Therefore, moisturizing shampoos are designed to help protect the wet hair and detangle the strands to minimize damages.
Understanding what your curls require is the first step toward making the best decision. The best shampoo for your hair includes natural elements and extracts from plants that might aid nourish your curls from the inside out.
Through looking at the ingredients and the product descriptions, you will know a lot about the feature of the product you intend to buy. You should carefully look at its features to ensure that it is made for curly hair. If it is meant for curls, it should have lots of elements that hold enough moisture and doesn’t compromise its quality.
Things to Consider
There are a few things that you should consider when buying a shampoo. They include the following:
1. The Amount of Moisture
As we said, curly hair dries out easily and hence the need to choose a shampoo that is highly hydrating. Therefore, you need to buy a product that contains water – as the 1st ingredient.
2. Mix Them Up
When searching for how to treat your curls, don’t rely on only one brand of shampoo. Buying different types of shampoos and hair conditioners will help you to maintain your moisturized hair for a long time. Mixing them up will also prevent your curl from getting used to a particular brand.
You may look for a shampoo that has a lot of slip to help maintain the moisture and detangle your hair. Mix it with oil in a ratio that helps you to achieve your desired result.
3. Avoid Sulfates
You might not know, but a sulfate free shampoo does a great job. Sodium lauryl sulfate was a key component contained in a majority of shampoos which produce the lather when you are using them. However, today many shampoos are free of sulfates which are perfect for curls because they prevent dryness that is caused by sulfates.
You should avoid sulfates because they function as detergents that strip your hair of its moisture thus making it too dry out and even create a frizz.
4. Consider Natural Elements
Shampoos having natural elements such as almond and aloe oil help restore and cleanse your hair and leave it soft and manageable. A natural product will change your dry curls into fully soft curls. These shampoos also stimulate your hair follicle to generate strong hair. The healing procedure involves cleaning, repairing as well as rejuvenating your hair.
5. Go for Milder Shampoos
Most produced shampoos have synthetic additives that may make your curl to dry and lead to breakage. On the flip side, a milder shampoo has all the natural chemical free elements such as vitamins and minerals that help your hair to regain its beautiful and original form. This leaves your hair soft and shiny and also prevents damage and reduces hardness.
The Top 10 Shampoo for Curly Hair Reviews
1. Art Naturals Organic Moroccan Argan Oil – Best Shampoo and Conditioner for Curly Hair
As one of the best products from Art Naturals, this shampoo and conditioner set offers an effective and rich natural alternative to other products. It has a great, long-lasting scent and has the ability to support hair and scalp health through its rich emollients and potent antioxidants.
With frequent use, it might even boost your hair growth. The product also features antioxidant vitamins as well as argan oil which help to strengthen your hair. Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner is cruelty-free and paraben-free and comes in a BPA-free packaging.
- The product has a pleasant smell.
- The shampoo lathers smoothly.
- Gives a lustrous sheen.
- Doesn’t weight your hair down and adds volume.
- Might be too rich for oily hair.
- Contains a few chemical elements.
2. Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus – Best Shampoo for Dry Curly Hair
Shea Moisture is used to keep your hair shiny and frizz free. With the goodness of coconut and hibiscus and the present moisture from shea butter, it is the ideal product to keep your hair looking great. It is a good shampoo for thick, unruly, coarse, and dry hair as it gives your hair a boost of moisture and leaves it feeling amazingly soft.
The product also helps to eliminate flyaways and frizzies, which is a super bonus. It is also great for fine and oilier hair, but just in little amounts.
- Its smell is great.
- It is gentle on your hair.
- It improves your hair strength.
- Add shine to your hair.
- Doesn’t lather well.
- Might be harsh on your hair.
3. Curly Sexy Hair Curl Defining Sulfate – Best Shampoo for Dry Frizzy Hair
Curly Sexy Hair is a gentle product that softens and strengthens your curl as it removes excess product build-up and unwanted impurities. It supports your hair well! It is also sulfate-free, gluten-free, and paraben-free and conditions your hair with panthenol, proteins, and jojoba oil to help eliminate frizz, strengthen hair strands and support curls.
This gentle cleanser helps to hydrate your hair – your curls appear smoother and defined, creating a stunning look. I consider this product to be among the best shampoos for curly hair on the market today.
- It improves your hair health
- Add shine to your hair.
- It is a gentle product.
- It leathers smoothly.
- It is not highly effective.
4. Joico Smooth Cure – Good Shampoo for Curly Hair
It leaves your hair smooth for about 72 hours while reducing frizz by over 80 percent. It also provides around the clock humidity protection.
- It is gentle on your hair.
- Doesn’t dry your hair after using it.
- Makes your hair feel soft after using it.
- It lathers and foam up easily.
- It is a sulfate free product.
- You will have to repeat the washing process to really feel its effect.
- It doesn’t give you’re a fresh feeling after wash.
5. L’Oreal Paris Advanced – Best Rated Shampoo
Being one of the well-known brands that have established a good reputation over time for producing great shampoos, the L’Oreal Paris firm’s Haircare contain elements that have been shown to contribute to maintenance and repair of damaged hair.
With extracts of keratin and coconut oil, this product penetrates deeply into your hair follicles as well as roots to promote vibrancy, shine, and glossiness, with additional nourishing botanicals such as citric acid, sunflower seed oil, soja oil, rosa canine flower extract, and soybean oil. The product also includes ceramide, which aids to repair damaged and broken hair fibers.
- Has a great smell.
- It improves your hair health.
- Does not lather well.
6. Ethnic Hair Shampoo – Best Shampoo for Thick Hair
Ethnic Shampoo is an amazing hair product for all types of hair. It is designed with a superb natural oil containing 100 percent pure avocado oil, doesn’t contain harsh elements, and is super for daily use. The product provides a PH balances, full-coverage oil treatment shampoo, making it one of the best shampoos for curly hair for African America curls.
Its combination of natural and gentle elements facilitates safe daily use for babies, kids, women, and men alike. In addition to its synergy of natural elements dedicated to promoting your hair moisture, texture, and volume, the product contains no unnecessary additives or harmful chemicals.
- It is a natural product.
- It builds up your hair.
- Easy to mix with other products.
- The product might loosen your curls.
- It is a permanent product and thus hard to cover over.
7. Ultra Curl Defining Cream With Oil – Best Shampoo for Wavy Hair
With Ultra Curl Cream, you will love your amazing, soft, frizz-free, and natural looking curls. This is an advanced curl cream that easily penetrates and conditions curly and wavy hair to activate curls and restore its definition. The product eliminates frizz and offers the ideal combination of hold, shine, and smoothing to give you stunning, bouncy, and healthy curls.
Women and salon professionals love this product because it provides curls and waves maximum definition and the ideal amount of hold while leaving the hair soft, frizz-free, and natural looking.
- It is a light texture product.
- It has a pleasant smell.
- It smooths out your hair.
- It adds soften and shine to your hair.
- Its bottle design isn’t great.
- You might need to use a lot of this product to get the desired results.
8. TIGI Catwalk Curls Rock Amplifier – Best Shampoo for Dry Curly Hair
TIGI Amplifier gets through wet hair to separate and define your curls. It enhances the natural texture of your curls and gives you control and hold for streamlined and defined waves and curls for a touchable, great finish.
Designed by TIGI International and Anthony Mascolo, and manufactured around an aquatic thought of soothing and moisturizing, the product invites you to accept the idea of improving your natural hair and bring out the best in it. TIGI Catwalk uses the latest marine biology elements, cucumber water, a fusion of kelp, seaweed, sea fennel, and seaweed from the firm’s aqua complex.
- It is easy to use the product.
- It smells great.
- It is an effective product.
- It is sticky.
- It is a heavy product.
9. Moroccan Argan Oil – Shampoo and Conditioner
This product has a lightweight formula that absorbs easily into your hair. It helps your curl to become softer, easier, and smoother to style. It also gives you a natural sheen and eliminates flyaways. The product is able to repair curl damaged from chemical processes and over-processes.
Moroccan oil hydrated your hair to give you a new and fresh look and also detangles rocks and is effective on hairs extensions and wigs at the same time. It also makes it easier to style and comb your hair.
- The product contains argan oil.
- It doesn’t contain alcohol.
- It is a lightweight product and absorbs easily into your hair.
- It nourishes, moisturizes, and hydrates your hair.
- It has a strong smell that might not suit some women.
- The product has some color additives.
10. TIGI Catwalk Curls Rock – Best Conditioner for Curly Hair
TIGI shampoo and conditioner give control and hold for streamlined waves and defined curls. Its essential oil, together with environmental and thermal protectants, nurtures your curls for a touchable and great finish.
The product forms a bouncy curl that other shampoos don’t. The shampoo doesn’t weigh your curl down and doesn’t leave your hair flat. You only need to take a small amount and run it via your hair when it is damp and it will curl immediately.
- It is a smooth product.
- It is very easy to use this product.
- It is a lightweight product.
- Its smell is great.
- Its texture isn’t one of the best on the market.
How to Choose Shampoo for Curly Hair
Generally, the first step in your hair care routine should be using the best shampoo for curly hair – this is meant to cleanse your scalp and hair. Without this process, all your preferred hair products and dirt might gradually build up and result in irritations in your scalp and a horrible greasy look.
Even if shampooing looks like a straightforward process, many people do it the wrong way. It is vital to scrub your scalp – particularly in the upper top, where we often place these products first. You are either a person that shampoos daily or someone that goes as many days as possible before shampooing again.
Either way, you should have a reason and rhyme to your schedule. If you are a frequent shampooer and wash your curls on a daily basis, it is advisable to use a sulfate-free product.
After cleaning your hair and scalp, masques and conditioning should follow. Conditioning is used to detangle your curls – it smoothes out your cuticle by resting on the base of your hair. Masque acts as a treatment for your curls and prevents static that is caused by dryness.
Tips on How to Take Care of Curls
- Moisturize your curls – this makes your hair to look healthy.
- Combine your curls – avoid combing your hair when it is wet as this might lead to damage.
- Massage your curls – use essential oil like almond oil, coconut oil, and olive oil twice a week.
- Protect your curls – don’t expose your hair to lots of heat or sunlight as this might damage it.
The Bottom Line
During the off days, you need to use uniquely formulated products. More so, it is recommended to choose organic elements so as to eliminate the use of harsh elements or chemical on your hair. In addition, before, you buy a huge bottle; ensure that you try a smaller one to see how the product reacts with your hair.
One of the best shampoos for curly hair that you should consider is the Ethnic Hair Shampoo for Thick and Curly Hair. It features are amazing and are well designed for curly hair. It is also easy to mix with other products, which is a great feature. It is also easy to use it on different types of hair.