We all want a stylish, slick-back hair simply because it is so nice to sport such a neat and clean hair getup that you can be proud of in front of the public.
A slick-back hair is really something classy and sophisticated, especially for men.
It’s because this kind of hairdo is a combination of having an old and new look. That’s why it is good to wear a slick-back hair. This kind of hairdo is also nice when you are going to a semi-formal to formal party. Sometimes though, it is so difficult to achieve such a look especially if your hair type isn’t meant to be slicked so easily.
There are ways on how to slick down natural hair, though. Follow these steps in order to make your hair look stylish and well-slicked.
The first thing that you need to perform in order to slick your hair down is to dry your hair using your towel. This is to make sure that your hair is not damp enough for the product to absorb and take effect.
If your hair too wet, your product may fail to hold and control the desired amount that your hair needs in order to get it slicked. Too dry hair, on the other hand, may also not do the work effectively because it will be difficult for you to comb your hair and apply the product. Your hair needs to be well-balanced when it comes to its dampness.
To figure out, you need to undergo a little bit of trial and errors. When you master this technique though, it will be easier for you to style your hair however you want.
Once you’ve already determined the right amount of dampness in your hair, you can now prepare yourself for a slick styling. Get your comb and start combing your hair. Determine your right hairlines and growth patterns in order to do this correctly. Also determine what your hair type is.
Next, prepare you pomade slicking solution that will hold your hair. Check if this product works well with you. Read about its properties—if it is thick and if it is easy to spread in the palm of your hands and if it distributes well through your hair. Also check if the product is convenient to use and without any allergy threats to your skin.
If you have thick and curly hair, you need to apply more amount of the pomade gel. You also need to opt for gels that hold firmly when your hair is a lot thicker. To be able to master this step, you also need to undergo a series of tries.
When you finally determine the right amount of pomade or gel for your hair, you can now work through slicking your hair. Start applying the product at the back of your hair, making sure that you are doing it in a forward motion. Remember to apply the gel lightly. While doing this, you will notice and feel that the product holds your hair.
At the same time, you will also find that your hair will pull the pomade off your fingers. Next, even out the product by rubbing your hands with it together. This ensures the right distribution to your hair. This will also allow you to apply the product on the other portion of your head such as on the front, top, and sides. The trick about this method is to make sure that the pomade is evenly distributed in all parts of your hair—from the root of your hair to the top.
Now that you have a well-distributed pomade on your hair, prepare your comb to start styling out your hair. Comb back through your hair and use your hands to trail the comb. You can also use your fingers to lightly pull your hair backward and downward.
This method gives you the ease to distribute the pomade even better and to be able to lead your hair into the direction that you want. It’s all about your style preference, really. Whatever suits your preference, you control your styling and you go for it.
After combing your hair, check if there are potential loose ends or undesired curls and roots that may be present in your hair. Get them slicked out so it will be perfect and flawless. Once you are done, you can expect to find a classic look and result.
Now here are the tips that you need to remember when styling your hair into a neat slick-back:
- Style your hair into slick-back only when your hair is completely dry and not damp. When your hair is wet, chances are, the gel or pomade that you will be using will not completely hold your hair, thus, making it impossible for you to successfully put on a nice slick-back style.
- If you want the best result, blow-dry your hair before you get into the styling work.
- Gels may be good, but ideally pomade is better. Pomade has special ingredients that hold your hair better then gel. Pomade also washes out easily compared to a gel because it is water-based. Plus, pomade is lightweight so it won’t be difficult for you to get it off when you get home.
- Look for a pomade with matte finish if you are planning to have it for an everyday use.
- When you use a pomade, be generous to your hair and distribute it evenly. It is good to put much pomade to your hair to make it look perfect and slick.
- Maintain the top portion of your hair long for you to have an easy slicking work.
- Always remember to bring with you your comb so you can easily re-style your hair when you feel like changing your look in the middle of a party or an occasion.
These are the ways on how to slick down natural hair. Easy-peasy, isn’t it?
You don’t have to go to a salon to sport such a neat hairdo because you can actually do it yourself.